Foundational HR Forum for Nonprofits
Name: Lauren Miketinac
This event is closed. If you have interest in joining a future Forum, please contact us and we will add you to the list of future participants.
Gain new skills, learn the latest HR best practices and expand your influence.
Now more than ever, it’s incredibly important to have a trusted peer group of HR professionals to confer with about emerging trends and challenges in our field. We saw so much change so fast in the first few months of the COVID-19 outbreak, and no doubt this will continue into 2021 — if not beyond.
Remote learning that doesn’t feel remote!
Wipfli has created a dynamic and interactive small-group HR forum specifically for nonprofits, constructed with a flexible agenda that allows us to shift or add topics as new issues surface.
The same people will participate in each forum session throughout the year, allowing individuals to develop powerful and lasting professional relationships and to engage in specific problem solving. Our facilitators will customize your forum to fit the needs of your group and emerging challenges.
Who should attend
Ideal for individuals who may not have a formal education in HR management but have HR responsibilities and individuals who may be new to the field or are looking to expand, refresh or strengthen their core HR technical knowledge.
Understanding the role of HR
- Key HR responsibilities
- Important skills for HR professionals
- HR best practices
- Strategic priorities of HR
Creating an effective employee handbook
- Handbook content
- Policy development
- Handbook communication
Understanding the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Overtime exemptions (includes review of new rules)
- Hourly versus salaried pay
- Pay for travel, on-call and training time
- Minimum wage
- Child labor
Complying with state and federal laws
- Significant laws and regulations
- Discrimination and harassment
- Posting and record retention requirements
Recruiting and selecting employees
- Work force planning and job analysis
- Job descriptions
- Resume and application screening
- Interview techniques
- Reference checking
- Onboarding and new employee orientation
- Performance management systems
- Performance appraisals
Addressing employee behavior problems
- Corrective action
- Voluntary and involuntary termination
- Legal land mines
Designing a compensation system
- Internal and external pay equity
- Salary structure development and maintenance
- Incentive pay systems
- Health insurance and PPACA
- Preventative health and wellness
- Qualified retirement plans
- Benefit communication
- Time off
Space is limited and fills up quickly! Register now.
This forum will take place on the second Wednesday of the month starting on January 13, 2021. A webcam is recommended to get the most from this training experience, but not required.
In addition to the Foundational HR Forum, Wipfli also offers a Senior HR Forum for Nonprofits for individuals with at least five years of experience in HR management. For more information on this series, please visit wipfli.com/NGP-SrHRForum.