John Walther, EnCE, GCFE, GCFA, GSEC, OFE, CISSP, MCFE-AXIOM
Lead Cybersecurity Consultant
John is a Lead Cybersecurity Consultant in Wipfli’s Valuation, Forensic and Litigation Services and Risk Advisory Services. His diverse background in digital forensics, network security, compliance, and information technology allows him to provide a wide variety of client services, including digital forensics, incident response, malware analysis, vulnerability assessments, network security assessments, social engineering and a variety of audit based services. John has more than 25 years of experience in the IT field, working with numerous organizations providing the information they need to pinpoint and resolve their security vulnerabilities and improve the security of their data and networks.
John is responsible for the design, implementation, and continued maintenance of Wipfli’s dedicated forensic lab, and forensic tools in the field. Including the identification of tools and techniques used during digital forensic, incident response, and malware analysis engagements. Prior to a recent merger, he was also responsible for the design, implementation, and continued maintenance of Wipfli’s vulnerability assessment, social engineering, and penetration testing infrastructure.
Throughout his career John has led the implementation of a wide variety of business and compliance-driven security solutions, including enterprise antivirus, patch management, enterprise mail encryption, internal vulnerability analysis platforms, intrusion detection, multiple firewall and VPN infrastructures, disaster recovery, incident response, and a secure mobile work force.
John has designed and led the implementation of virtualization infrastructures, SAN technology, Windows and Linux servers, Active Directory and Novell NDS directories, MS Exchange, MS SQL, IIS, and a variety of financial, development, and business-specific systems and applications.
- EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE)
- Magnet Certified Forensics Examiner (MCFE-AXIOM)
- Oxygen Forensic Detective Expert (OFE)
- GIAC Certified Forensic Examiner (GCFE)
- GIAC Certified Forensic Analyst (GCFA)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Minnesota Chapter of the Information Systems Security Association (MN-ISSA) – Member
- Minnesota Chapter High Tech Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA) – Member
- Minneapolis Chapter of InfraGard – Member
- Frequent speaker on a variety of information security and forensic topics for local professional and business organizations
ServicesBusiness consulting services
Areas of Focus
- Digital forensic investigations
- Malware analysis
- Incident response
- Social engineering engagements
- Vulnerability assessments and analysis
- Website assessments
- COBIT-based audits
- Technology examinations and audits
EducationUniversity of Minnesota
- Bachelor of arts degree in speech and communications