October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. In addition to implementing the 30 tips we recommend in our e-book, here are some additional activities you should consider to promote security awareness:
- Conduct Employee Cybersecurity Training – There are helpful and free tools to assist at www.StaySafeOnline.org.
- Test Emergency Communication – Conduct an all-employee notification drill to test how quickly emergency messages can be distributed and verify that the contact information is correct.
- Clean Desk Check – Ensure all confidential information is secured by doing a walk-through of your office and provide positive reinforcement for employees who keep the workplace secure.
- Phish your Employees – Conduct an email phishing campaign to see how many employees are following policies and best practices for online communication.
- Ransomware Exercise – Facilitate a drill to simulate how to respond to a ransomware incident.
- Backup and Recovery – Make sure that your data is successfully backed up and verify that it can be restored by testing.
If you need guidance or assistance with any of these activities, please contact us. For more information about NCSAM and how to participate in a wide variety of activities, visit www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam. You can also follow and use the official NCSAM hashtag #CyberAware on Twitter.