Federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) play a crucial role in providing essential healthcare services to underserved populations. However, labor shortages and inefficiencies can challenge their mission.
One way to help address this challenge is to embrace technology.
Digital solutions are not just ancillary tools — they’re central to how FQHCs can adapt, evolve and continue providing unmatched care in the face of challenges. By embracing this digital evolution, FQHCs are not only optimizing their operations but also enhancing the overall patient experience.
Here are six ways your FQHC can use technology to innovate your care delivery:
1. Building a strong technology foundation
Before diving deep into the nuances of how technology aids FQHCs, it’s important to understand the foundational systems that act as the backbone:
- EMRs: Electronic medical records are digital representations of a patient's medical history. They not only ensure efficient storage but also enable healthcare professionals to retrieve, update and share patient information seamlessly.
- ERPs: ERPs are the backbone of the administrative side, streamlining tasks such as accounting, procurement and human resource management. They provide a holistic view of operations, ensuring that resources are being used optimally.
- CRMs: In the healthcare context, CRMs enhance patient engagement. They help in streamlining communication, managing appointments and ensuring that patients receive timely reminders and updates.
Having all three systems in place helps you not only transform the way you manage people and operations but also provides you with greater access to solutions that can help further your growth.
2. Optimizing staff efficiency through automation
Labor shortages don’t need to be a debilitating challenge. With automation, FQHCs can make the most of their existing workforce.
Automation tools can handle repetitive tasks, freeing up human resources to focus on more critical, value-added functions, such as patient care or strategic planning. For some tasks, these tools can even be used as a full-time equivalent to help you fill staffing gaps.
3. Revamping supply chain management
The healthcare supply chain is intricate and has a need for the timely availability of lifesaving drugs and medical equipment. Digital solutions can:
- Streamline procurement: Automated tools can predict when supplies will run low and reorder them, ensuring that the center never runs out of essential items. Tools can also forecast patient inflow or predict medical inventory needs, enabling staff to prepare in advance and ensure smooth operations.
- Optimize costs: Digital platforms can compare vendor prices and ensure purchases are made at the most cost-effective rates.
4. Outsourcing IT
Maintaining an in-house IT team can be expensive and doesn’t always guarantee expertise in the latest technologies.
By outsourcing IT needs, you can save on the salaries, training and infrastructure costs associated with an internal IT department. Outsourcing also helps expand your access to top-tier IT professionals familiar with the latest in healthcare technology.
5. Elevating your digital footprint
In the digital era, your website acts as a virtual reception for patients.
Upgrading to a more intuitive website enhances visibility, making it easier for patients to find information, book appointments and access telehealth services.
You can also boost engagement with interactive features, such as patient portals. These features increase patient involvement in their healthcare journey, fostering trust and satisfaction.
6. Crafting a comprehensive digital strategy
The culmination of these digital tools and services requires a cohesive strategy. A well-defined digital strategy can help your FQHC use technology to:
- Streamline processes: By integrating various tools, from EMRs to CRMs, FQHCs can ensure smooth data flow and interoperability.
- Boost patient satisfaction: A patient-centric strategy that focuses on their convenience and needs will inevitably lead to improved satisfaction rates.
How Wipfli can help
It’s challenging to keep pace with the evolving healthcare landscape and rapid changes in patient expectations. Wipfli can help by connecting you with digital and cybersecurity services that focus on your organization’s specific needs. We offer tailored solutions and ongoing support to guide you through strategy, software selection, implementation and optimization.
Contact us today to explore how we can help your FQHC stay innovative.
Sign up to receive additional healthcare content in your inbox or continue reading: