Greenheck Fan Corporation is known worldwide as the leading manufacturer of air-movement and control equipment. Its flagship ventilation products are found in hospitals, office buildings, hotels, shopping malls, restaurants, schools, industrial plants, and other commercial buildings. Founded in 1947 as a tiny sheet metal shop in Schofield, Wisconsin, today Greenheck brand products are shipped around the globe.
In the early 1970s, Greenheck engaged Wipfli principally for traditional compliance assistance. As Greenheck and its business needs grew, the company developed a deeper relationship with Wipfli and a greater reliance on the firm’s wide range of professional services. Over the years, Wipfli has played a key advisory role in numerous business activities that served to help the company and also protect the many local jobs Greenheck created.
Wipfli’s role with Greenheck has evolved from satisfying compliance needs to becoming a trusted partner. Over time, the Wipfli team successfully interrelated with Greenheck’s management and its shareholders. Examples of the team’s efforts include:
- Providing guidance to Greenheck shareholders in achieving the objectives of ownership and the strengthening of the business in a tax-efficient manner
- Identifying research and development (R&D) tax credit opportunities to reduce shareholder taxes and improve company cash flow
- Conducting sales and use tax consulting and planning to ensure compliance and reduce compliance risk
- Working with the company to restructure the year-end audit process so as to complete it more than a month ahead of previous schedules
- Maintaining regular discussions with management to proactively address issues and explore opportunities and developing an “open items” list to review those issues with the board of directors
- Providing tax and accounting expertise through the entire life cycle of its Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), from implementation to redemption
Wipfli’s proactive tax advice in numerous instances has provided Greenheck significant dollars in tax savings, liquidity, and shareholder benefits.
Wipfli has become a trusted resource to Greenheck, and the respect is mutual. The manufacturer has experienced significant sales growth over the life of the relationship, including a sevenfold increase in the last 20 years alone. Through it all, Wipfli has provided creativity and continuity to help Greenheck weigh its many options, avoid surprises, and pursue opportunities with greater success and confidence.