Long-term strategies to maximize tax savings.
Whether you’re a business or an individual, the continually changing state tax landscape makes it tough to stay informed and effectively plan for the future.
Wipfli’s state income and franchise tax practice can provide the proactive guidance you need to remain competitive, effectively manage risk and satisfy your long-term business objectives in the midst of change.
With deep specialized knowledge, years of experience, relationships with state tax administrators and strategic relationships with other tax professional alliances around the country, our team offers assistance across a broad range of income tax (business and personal), franchise tax and gross receipts tax disciplines.
Wipfli’s state income and franchise tax services include:
Business income, franchise, and gross receipts taxes
- Evaluation of both physical presence nexus issues, such as the impact of teleworking employees, and economic nexus issues
- Assistance with securing voluntary disclosure agreements to efficiently mitigate risk in states with nexus exposures
- Apportionment analysis and optimization assistance
- Analyzing previously filed business tax returns to identify potential refund opportunities caused by issues such as apportionment, credits, net operating losses and filing methods
- Pass-through entity tax elections
- Credits and incentives
- Structural evaluation
- Audit defense
- Assistance with gross receipts taxes, such as the Ohio CAT, Oregon CAT, Tennessee business tax, Texas franchise tax and Washington B&O tax
- Merger and acquisition assistance
Personal income taxes
- Residency and domicile planning, documentation and audit support
- Out of state credit issues
- Sourcing of different income types, such as nonqualified stock options (NQSOs) or restricted stock units (RSUs), or Form 1099 compensation, such as for serving on a board of directors
- Audit defense
Contact us to learn more or get started.
Featured Thought Leader
Daniel N. Kidney, CPA, JD
Dan Kidney is a director in Wipfli’s state and local tax (SALT) practice and has over 20 years of experience dedicated to SALT matters. He has served both Fortune 100 multinational and small businesses and has deep knowledge across a broad range of SALT topics. While Dan has a passion for writing and speaking about cutting-edge SALT concepts, he especially enjoys explaining those concepts in plain language to businesses and their owners to help them solve problems and bring them value.